Stamper Family Project
 


HISTORY OF GALLIA COUNTY (A Condensed History of the County;
Biographical Sketches; General Statistics; Miscellaneous Matters, &c)

MAP OF GALLIA COUNTY

H. H. HARDESTY & CO., PUBLISHERS, CHICAGO AND TOLEDO. - 1882.
HISTORY OF GALLIA COUNTY.
BY JAMES AVERILL.

DR. SOLOMON LONG -was born in Ash county, North Carolina, May 8, 1821. He graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1855, and has taken an active part in the profession ever since. He is the only doctor in the village of Wales, and has been for a number of years. His parents are John and Susannah (Stamper) Long. His father was born September 30, 1783, and died in April, 1876. His mother was born in June, 1790, Dr. Long was married by Rev. S. Stamper in the city of Wilksboro, North Carolina, December 4, 1844, to Nancy E. Abshire, who was born in Wilkes county, North Carolina, February 18, 1826. She is mother of the following children : Candace J., born June 18, 1845, resides in Perry township ; Alfred C., October 27, 1847, died January 19, 1848 ; Nancy V., August 25, 1849, resides in Perry township; William R., March 12, 1852, died May 30, 1868. The last named came to his death by drowning while bathing. Mr. Long filled the office of justice of the peace in North Carolina for twenty years. The parents of Mrs. Long are William and Elizabeth Abshire. Her father was born in 1793, and died in 1847 ; her mother was born in 1790. The date of Dr. Long's settlement in this county is 1868. His postoffice address is Wales, Gallia county, Ohio
.
 

 

 

J. C. Brewster


J. C. Brewster, a well known and highly esteemed citizen of San Buenaventura, who has been connected
with the growth of the place and interested in its moral and business welfare, and now the proprietor
of the art gallery, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, December 31, 1841. His father, Calvin Brewster,
was born in Canterbury, Windham County, Connecticut, in 1787, a descendant of Sir William Brewster
who came to the New World on the Mayflower in 1620. He (Sir William) was the father of Love Brewster,
and the generations in succession were Wrestling, Jonathan, who came to Windham, Connecticut, in 1729, Peleg,
born in 1717, who must have removed to Canterbury when quite young, for his oldest son, John - who made the
sixth generation - was born in that town in 1739. Peleg was Mr. Brewster's great-grandfather. Jedediah,
a younger son of his, was Mr. Brewster's grandfather.

The record of Jedediah's birth was lost; but the town records show that he was married to Prudence Robinson
May 19, 1773. According to the good-fashion in those good old times, they had a good large family, and about
every two years there was a record of a birth in the family. The names on the record are as follows: Elizabeth,
Silas, Anson, Florina, Sarah, Calvin and Jedediah, Jr. Elizabeth, Sarah and Jedediah died in childhood, and
January, 1789, the good wife Prudence died, and the next autumn Jedediah married for his second wife Miss
Asenath Hapgood, to aid in the care of the family. He removed a few years later to Berne, Albany County, New
York. In 1808 he sold some of his land to Silas Brewster and the deed descends to him as living at Berne. The
same year he sold his homestead to Deacon Barnabas Allen, whose son still owns it. It is about four miles from
the village of Canterbury. A descendant of the Brewsters was recently there and was shown around by the
proprietor. She drank from the old well that had been in uninterrupted use for more than a century. The farm is
considered one of the best in that section, although a Western farmer would consider it very poor land. The old
burying-ground was about a mile from the house. It was given to that part of the town by one of the Brewsters,
and has been used by four or five generations and about a dozen families. Here are the names of Prudence
Brewster and the children alluded to. In the lot are some stones so old that the inscriptions have become
completely defaced, and some have sunk so deeply in the ground that only their tops are visible. The graveyard,
however, is kept in excellent condition by a Miss Winchester, whose ancestors have been buried there for
several generations. She is a spinster of eighty-five years - the last of her family. She has made provisions in her
will to have the graveyard kept in condition after she has gone. She remember old 'Diah Brewster, as she called
him, and said her mother used to go over there on certain occasions.


Mr. Brewster's mother, whose maiden name was Harriet Cramer, was a native of Strausburg, Lancaster County,
Pennsylvania, and was born in 1813, of Dutch ancestry. The parents were married in 1837 and had a family
of six children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the second. He was eight years old when the family
moved to Iowa. Before he was of age he taught two terms of school, holding a first grade certificate both in
Iowa and Missouri. He began to learn the art of photography in 1860, in Warsaw, Illinois, and since then has
devoted his entire attention to it. In 1862 he came to California and for a short time taught a select school in
Sacramento city. Soon afterward he engaged in partnership with Frank M. Stamper, and subsequently he sold to
his partner and took charge of a photograph gallery on J street, that city, and continued in its charge until
the proprietor sold it. Then he went to Virginia City, Nevada, and took charge of the gallery of R. H. Vance, of
New York, who was a pioneer photographer of the coast. Next he had charge of a gallery at Carson City,
for the same party.


In the spring of 1865 he went to Idaho with a Concord wagon and four bronchos, for Sutterly Brothers, and
opened business at Ruby City. They had good success there, and his salary was $50 a week, and board without
room $16 a week. In the fall they went to Placerville and also to Centerville; thence to Salt Lake City. There
Mr. Sutterly built a gallery and Mr. Brewster continued to run the tent at Douglas, three miles east. In the spring
of 1866 they moved into the new gallery and did a large business, the receipts sometimes reaching $200 a day.
Soon after this Mr. Brewster went to Helena, Montana, and opened a gallery for himself. In the fall of 1868 he
sold it and returned to Salt Lake City, and continued in business there and at several other towns in the vicinity,
with fine success, until the next spring. He then went to Nevada, and was there until 1871, with his
brother-in-law as partner. They had a large gallery and fine building. Thence he went to Visalia and to
San Francisco, where his mother then resided. His health had failed, but soon after returning home he recovered,
and began work for William Shaw, on Kearny street; but at length he was discharge because he would not work
on Sunday. He then worked for Bradley & Rulofson until he decided to begin on his own account. He had a nice
trade at San Luis Obispo until 1874, when he came to San Buenaventura and opened a gallery near the
mission church. A year afterward he moved between Oak and California streets and built a gallery, with the
privilege of moving it. In the spring of 1877 he bought his present location on Oak street and moved the gallery
there, building additions to it, and has since then conducted his business with brilliant success. His gallery is
splendidly equipped, and is filled with samples of his work which reflect great credit upon his skill. He was
among the very first to adopt the dry-plate method, so superior to the old method.


He has recently built a nice two-story residence on Santa Clara street, surrounding it with choice flowers
and young trees and shrubs. In 1875 he married Mrs. Mary O. Sinclair, widow of J. S. Sinclair; her maiden
name was Mary Oberia Hadley. They have had two children, but lost the little son. Their daughter, Pansy
Augusta, was born in Ventura, August 15, 1880. Mr. Brewster was elected one of the School Trustees of the
city; he is a Prohibition Republican, a business man of talent and a citizen without reproach. He is an Elder in
the Presbyterian Church, of which denomination his family are also members. He is treasurer of the Young
Men's Christian Association, and has been made an honorary member of the Women's Christian Temperance
Union. He is also Treasurer and Depositary of the American Bible Society at Ventura.
BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF THE COUNTIES OF SANTA BARBARA, SAN LUIS OBISPO, AND VENTURA, CALIF.
by Ida Addis Storke, 1891, p 455 Transcribed by Sandy Neder





Pioneer Photographers from the Mississippi to the Continental Divide: A ...

By Peter E. Palmquist, Thomas R. Page 562 .... This biographical dictionary of some 3,000 photographers
(and workers in related trades), active in a vast area of North America before 1866, is based on extensive
research and enhanced by some 250 illustrations, most of which are published here for the first time

Stamper, Fred Photographer; active Red Rock, Iowa, 1865.
An 1865 Iowa state directory identified Fred Stamper as a photographer in Red Rock. It is possible that his
last name actually was Stamper, since there was a family of photographers of that name in Iowa in the 1860's.

 

Stamper, Francis 'Frank' Marion (1840 - 1912) Daguerreain, photographer; active Warsaw, Mo, 1860: Sacremento,
Calif c. 1862; Pella, Iowa, 1865 - 66; Des Moines, Iowa, 1869l Isceola, Iowa, 1870; Owego, Kans 1883; Hailey,
Idaho c 1883; Boise, Idaho c. 1895 -96.

Francis 'Frank' Marion Stamper was born February 14, 184(, in Fleming County, Kentucky. He was the son of
John B Stamper, MD (bc 1814 in North Carolina) and Tabith (Jones) Stamper (bc 1816 in Kentucky). By 1850
the family was living in Boone County, Indiana. The 1860 census of Warsaw, Missouri, described 'Francis
Stamper' as a twenty-year-old male "Daug (Dagueereain) Arrisr" with no declared property. He lived with his
parents, John and Tabitha. Around late 1862, Frank M Stamper and his partner, John Calvin Brewster opened a
photographic gallery in Sacramento, California. Following the dissolution of that partnership, Stamper returned to
Iowa. He married Caroline Amarilla Matthews on February 13, 1865, in Marion County, Iowa. Stamper was a
photographer in that state from at least 1865 to 1874. Stamper and a partner known only as Parrish paid a
nine month, $7.50 occupational tax for their Stamper and Parrish gallery in Pella in July 1865; they renewed the
license in October 1865. Tamper and an unidentified brother were partners in Stamper Brothers California
Gallery in Des Moines, Iowa in 1869. Frank Stamper's brothers were Greenville Stamper (bc 1835) Elsbury J
Stamper (bc 1837), and Andrew Stamper (bc1843), Frank M Stamper and D D (D P?) Morgan owned the Stamper
& Morgan gallery in Des Moines from 1869 to 1872, and Stamper continued to be listed as a photographer in
that city's business directories until 1874. The 1870 census enumerated Stamper and his family twice in Des Moines
and in Osceola, Iowa. At that time, he and his wife, 'Carrie' (born in Iowa around 1846 were raising three children;
Calvin, age four, born in Iowa; Minnie, two, born in Kansas; and Cissie (or Cassa), ten months, born in Iowa. After
almost a decade of obscurity, Frank M Stamper turned up as a photographer in Oswego, Kansas, in November 1885
and in Hailey, Idaho Territory, around the same period. Around 1895 - 96 he owned Stamper's Art Gallery in Boise,
Idaho, and it is possible that he was a partner in the Bellus and Stamper gallery in Boise in 1896. Stamper reportedly
died August 6, 1912 in Santa Rosa, California.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1 LDS International Genealogical Index, Francis Marion Stamper; Stamper Family Project, 2002 www.stampers.org/STAMPER.wbg/wga53.html; US Census, Dist 7, Boone County, Indiana, 1850 .... [note: the print is very
small; I have a hard time reading the remainder of the 'source' ...Golden Ferguson, Mon, June 30, 2008]

The Stamper Family Project
is the property of Golden Combs Ferguson